Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Weekend Flies, Why Don't the Weeks

I spent last night tying flies for the weekend. I'm switching gears from the bonefish flats of the Bahamas to the saltwater spray of the Chesapeake. I'm hoping to land a few Rockfish (Stripers for everyone outside Maryland and Virginia) on the fly.

I've got a few fresh Clousers for the weekend, which is really all you need...for just about anywhere. The Rockfish love the Clousers and I've had success before. Hopefully we'll discover some breaking fish, but if not I'll throw on the sink tip and go deep and try that way.

Here's a few pictures of the new flies. I made another tying video and will get that up for next week. Clousers are a great fly to learn to tie on.


Here's a picture of my fly box for the weekend. Clousers, Deceivers, and Poppers along with a Sea Ducer.



The plan also involves me getting the kayak out and doing some kayak fly fishing. I'll be sure to put together some information for everyone on that, too, but I use a Wilderness Ride and really like it. Hopefully this year I can get it out more.

Happy Memorial Day to the Bonefish Flat Fanatics. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment