Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

North Andros by Chris Santella

What a weekend.  It was tiring, but I had an opportunity to spend time with the kids and to do a little fishing in the Chesapeake Bay.

I wish I could say that the fishing was great, but then again, that's why they call it fishing.  I'm working up a trip report that I should have up tomorrow or Thursday.  I'm also working up a review of Costa Del Mar's Zane Sunglasses which I've been testing for a while now so that should be ready for Friday.

In the meantime, I wanted to pass along this story by Chris Santella.  Chris wrote 50 Places to Fly Fish Before You Die and North Andros is one of the places on this list.  I got the book as a gift a few years ago and I think I've hit roughly 5 of the places.  I need to go back and review where I'm at, but it's a great read and lays out some benchmarks as to where to fish.  Pick up a copy if you haven't already. 

I haven't hit North Andros but it may have just vaulted to the top of my list.  The recommendation is from one of my personal fly fishing hero's, Brian O'Keefe of Catch Magazine fame.



Here is a pic from the Chris's Web site and is one of Brian's.  You can check out more of his pictures here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment