Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Tarpon and Roosterfish Record

The other night I had a dream about tarpon. I was fishing from a skiff and the big tarpon was jumping out of the water like only these fish do. I think the subconscious is telling me something. Namely, Florida Keys for next year.

Check out this article and pictures of a possible new world record tarpon. I'm curious as to what bonefish flat readers think, but there has to be some way to record these fish and not kill them. I'm good with catching a fish and then eating it, but the only thing you would do with that tarpon, after weighing it, is toss it.

Leave a comment or drop me a line at bonefishflat@gmail.com.

There is also a new pending record on a 48 lbs roosterfish. That is one species that is on my list. I went stealhead fishing on the Sandy River outside Portland a few years ago with a guy named Jad Donaldson who was a FANTASTIC guide. He also does trips to Christmas Island for bonefish and Baja for roosters. The roosterfish trip is definitely in my future at some point. What a cool looking fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment