Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Bonefish Flat is Back

Sorry I haven't had any new posts up on the flat. Lot's going on here in the real world which unfortunately doesn't include fishing. Yes, my mind is still often making a cast to bonefish as I wade a flat in the Bahamas. And no, I'm not anywhere close these days except to wade through the masses in the city.

I have been doing quite a bit of thinking about my next trip. I may hit Florida next year as its been a while and Mr. Tarpon is calling my name. I'd also like to nail a Key's bonefish and a Permit wouldn't be bad either. Doesn't that sound like every guides nightmare!! I'm sure my favorite Florida guide Drew Delashmit can hook me up with a slam no problem :) If you are going fishing in the Keys, check him out. Just don't steal my date, which I haven't set yet but is in my head.

I was supposed to fish New Orleans for some reds next month, but thanks to our friends at BP, that's now a bust. August now looks busy with lots of work travel, none to particularly fishy places but we'll see. Maybe I can wet a line somewhere.

Here's a picture to start off the work week. Hope everyone had a great July 4th Holiday.

Don't I look happy!!

1 comment: