Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Grab Your 9 weight, I'm Headed Up Yonder

The car is just about packed and the outlook for fishing doesn't look good.  There's a 99.9% chance I won't get to go fishing this weekend.

So you're telling me I've got a chance, I say to myself!!! (Dumb and Dumber for those loyal readers who don't memorize movie lines like I do)

I'm headed north to a coming home party for my wife's cousin who just returned home from a tour in Iraq.  Lot's of driving, but well worth the effort.  We're headed to Long Island (not the island in the Bahamas, unfortunately) and are staying near Rocky Point so I've decided to bring my 9 wt, a floater and a sinker, and a box of Clousers.  I'm ready for anything.


Again, apologies for a lack of postings.  I hit my stride but now I'm finding it tough to keep up with life and the flat, but not to worry.  Brighter days are just around the corner.  

If you're going fishing this weekend and have a report you'd like to share, please feel free to drop me a line at bonefishflat@gmail.com.  

Also, I'm are 3 fans away from hitting 30 on Facebook so please sign up and follow the Flat there if you haven't already.  We are also on Twitter, which originally I thought was the dumbest thing ever, but now I kinda like it.  Follow the Flat there as well for some tweets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment