Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Gheenoe

If you're not familiar with a Gheenoe, it's part of the micro skiff revolution.  A micro skiff is nothing more than a small skiff, often in the 12-15 foot range.  Gheenoe's were designed by Harley Gheen back in 1970.  They are a cross between a canoe and a John Boat blending the best qualities of the two.  I have a 13 footer which is a small one, but great for scooting around local rivers and exploring the edges of the Chesapeake Bay.  I have a little 4 HP on the back.

To me, the real advantage of this boat is the stability.  I can stand up and fly fish.  I have a kayak for fishing but since I really love the long rod, I always found it difficult to sight fish sitting so low to the water.  Couple that with the fact I don't have to paddle and the Gheenoe really opens up a lot of water for me to fish.  I've made a few modifications to mine which are all pretty simple, but there are guys out there who have made this little boats into pretty fancy skiffs.

Here's how she looked when I got her.




No comments:

Post a Comment