Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Saint Mary's Kayak Trip Report

So the fishing was good, but the catching was lousy.  Seems to be the running theme here on the flat the last couple of weeks, huh.  The weekend before Memorial Day, I had the chance to take a half day kayak trip from St. Inigoes Maryland to the College of Saint Marys.  This was about a three mile kayak trip and for most the wind was at my back so I had a pretty easy trip.

View from the Yak

I fished a Clouser on a Teeny 350 sink tip and went deep.  The water was 10 to 20 feet deep for the water I was fishing so by my experience, if they were biting I should have landed something.  But it seems it wasn't to be my day.  

The scenery was great though.  I saw a deer feeding on the shore and lots of osprey flying around.  

Can you spot the deer?  It took me too long to get the camera out.  

One thing that made this trip a lot of fun is that I encountered some large bait balls which usually mean that blues or rockfish are nearby.  But these seemed to just be holding together, perhaps they were spawning.  Whatever they were doing, I had a lot of casting into them trying to land something.  The kayak let me get really close to them whatever they were.

Bait ball from my kayak.

If you know what these are or what they doing, then leave a comment.  

3 comments:

  1. Visited St. Mary's River a few years ago- beautiful area. My thoughts about the bait ball is that it was short lived in any case as there were no birds diving on it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fishing kayaks are perfect for this. https://iqyax.com The fish will be splashing and the scupper holes allow water to flow into and out of the kayak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will also need to manually set the dials and switches on the front panel for each operation and different battery that you charge. www.TrollingBatteryAdvisor.com Trolling motors are generally designed with a DC electric motor that uses 12-volt deep cycle batteries for power

    ReplyDelete