Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Trailer Evolution


One reason I went with a 13 foot Gheenoe is so I could throw it in the back of my pickup truck.  I thought that since it's "only" 120 lbs, I can do this no problem.  I did that a few times and about broke my back.  The problem is that when you add the weight of a motor, cooler, some gear and gas, the ole' girl gets heavy.

So at first, I designed a wooden trailer that I could roll into the back of my truck bed and rest on a kayak rack.  Pretty slick, huh?

Once you load the rack in the back, the back legs come off so that they don't hit the road.  


Part dragster, part wooden boat trailer. 

Here she is loaded.  Drove three hours like this.  You should've seen the looks I got at the boat ramp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment