Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Killer Kwans & The OBX

If you follow The Bonefish Flat, you know that 2011 is the year of the redfish. We are at the halfway point of 2011 and I still don't have a red drum to hand.

That could all change this weekend. I've got my kayak ready and some killer kwans tied to head down to the outer banks this weekend. My dad and I are going to camp and fish in our yearly fishing trip.




The Killer Kwan

So far I haven't had the best of luck with reds, but I've got my stuff together and we will be fishing a spring tide so hopefully the spotted bass will cooperate.




Fresh Kwans

So why all this talk of Kwans for puppy drum, the fly is a cross-breed of shrimp and crab with an unknown orange thing tied onto the butt. I'm betting that orange thing is what sets the rat reds off.

If the Kwan don't work, maybe the merkin will.




The rest of my flies

Wish me luck boys and girls, it looks like it will be hot and channel bass can be tough to catch, but who knows, maybe I'll finally land a spotted tail. It would be great to post a trip report next week with a picture of me and a bull red!!

So I managed to call the red drum by 9 different names in this post, including rat reds, even though we think big here on the flat!

No comments:

Post a Comment