Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Redfish Week

 

Courtesy of Capt. Seth Vernon

Sorry for the long pause in updates. I got sidetracked and I bought a Gheenoe, and if you've never seen one it's kind of like Duck Dynasty meets Hells Bay Boatworks. Or maybe just a cross between a Jon boat and a canoe. Either way, I have a 4 hp Evinrude on the back of this 13 footer so I guess that makes me an evinrude man now.

In bigger news, I'm heading out for my annual trip later this week to try my hand at the mighty redfish with Capt. Seth Vernon in Wilmington. I've been wanting to add a redfish, or red drum, or puppy drum, or bull red, or rat red, to my species list for some time so this week will be as good as any. Follow the blog this week as I update on the haps.

Stay tuned for much more to come. I've gotten some things written so new "stuff" is on the way!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment