Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Tying Desk

It has been cold here and I'm really getting tired of it.  The upside is that there is time to catch up on tying some flies and getting ready for the new season.  My problem tying flies is that I never felt like I had a good spot to tie flies.  I needed something I can plop in front of the television and something that I could easily put away.

I looked around the net for some ideas for a portable tying desk and came across some really neat ideas.  The best were these custom tying desks on a Web site called Creek Nuts.  I really got to studying these benches and thought I could make something similar.

I set down and drew up some plans and really got into this.  I'm fairly handy with tools.  The problem is, I don't have everything I need in terms of tools (mostly in terms of a saw).  I found out that this can be overcome, but it does take a little longer.

I made a trip to Home Depot, bought some wood, screws, and stain, and here it is.  Complete with a little fish bling.

First draft.

Added some shelves.  The notebook and tape measure make it look like I know what I'm doing.

Shelves finished.

Now its a cherry tying desk.

Finished and added some fish for a little bling.

Finished

It didn't stay clean long.

I left the right back shelf side empty for now.  I'm still trying to figure out what I want to put up there.





2 comments:

  1. Man, you are pretty handy with tools JT. It came out great.

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brent. I had a lot of fun putting this together. Keep those pics coming of those big browns. Glad to see someone is fishing.

    ReplyDelete