Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Back to the Real World

The sun has set on writer's week in Long Island, Bahamas.  The weather was really challenging, to say the least.  In truth, I never really had a day that would produce many bonefish.  I really believe that the fish were there, but the wind never went below 15 mph and most times blew 20-30 mph.

The good news, and it was good news, is that the lodge and the food were outstanding.  The other writers on the trip were some of the top dogs in the fly fishing writer's world and I learned a lot.  I hope I can use it to take this Web site to the next level and to improve my writing in general.  At the very least, I made some great new friends from around the country and around the world.

Sunset on the flats at Deadman's Cay.

I'm working on the trip report now and I also nabbed a really cool interview from my new friend Tom Bie of The Drake magazine.  Look for these two pieces to come this week.  

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Looking forward to the trip report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent, thanks for reading. Working on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great posts. Sounds like you had a windy trip as well. We just returned from Andros and faced similar conditions. I think I ran into a few of your fellow bloggers on the way back in Nassau!

    Here are some of our posts! luckydogflyfishing.com

    Look forward to your trip report & future posts.

    Lucky Dog

    ReplyDelete