Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes are Still better than Bananas

So I'm not going to lie, the fishing has been slow this year. I got out for one good trip to the salt in which I got skunked, but still managed to have a good time. Earlier in the season I got out to the local ponds and caught some small bass and pan fish on fly, but they were pretty small and I seemed to lose interest pretty quickly. Catching bonefish does that to you with the little guys.

Each year my New Years resolution has been to fish more, and this year is not looking good. Me and the family built a house and that seems to be consuming most of my time, plus the kids are at the age where they can't quite go fishing but certainly don't want daddy to leave them behind.

This predicament should bolster my argument for a "family" boat (Hells Bay, makes a family boat, right? I believe it's called a Marquesa :)), but all I get are strange looks when I bring that up.

The good news is that my trip for next year is booked and it's going to be tarpon in the keys. It should be a blast as I haven't been to the keys in several years so it's time to head back.

Until then, here's a pic from the grill last night. What good southern boy doesn't fry up home grown green tomatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment