Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Redfish Can't Jump

Remember that The Bonefish Flat is about all types of saltwater fly fishing and today I've got something I found ona little bit about Redfish.

Some of you may have picked up from various fly fishing forum chatter about the new film Redfish Can't Jump. While I haven't yet had a chance to see the whole film, I know enough about Capt. Seth Vernon, the brains behind the film, to know that it will be great. I've followed Vernon's career guiding in North Carolina through several articles he has written on Red Fishing and other topics.

Here's the trailer:


Redfish Can't Jump - Teaser from Luke Pearson on Vimeo.


Here is a podcast from our friends at the Itinerant Angler. This is a great episode all about Redfishing.

I've been out for Reds a few times, but haven't gotten one yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to New Orleans later this year and be able to do a day fishing. But we'll see. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the oil slick doesn't destroy the gulf coast, too.

We also have Redfish in Virginia, which we call Puppy Drum. Perfect for kayak fishing, which we'll get too soon enough on The Bonefish Flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment