Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, March 8, 2010

New Series on The Bonefish Flat: First up, My Flybox

Starting this week, I'm going to be starting a new series about how I get prepared for a bonefishing trip. I'll take one day a week until my trip in May to show folks how I get ready. It may seem like a ways off, and right now it sure does, but I've got a lot to do to get everything just right.

I'm going to be talking about some of the gear that I consider necessities and share some of my other tips to get you ready for your trip of a lifetime. I'm going to be tying flies, tying leaders, and getting my fly casting stroke perfected. Today I had a chance to get out my rod and actually work a little of the winter rust off. The cast will be there in time for the trip.

To start, off this new series, I wanted to share where my Bahamas fly box is right now.



The left side are size 4's and the right size 6's.

Left side are plenty of Gotcha's in various weights, 2nd row are crazy charlies with the last two being Christmas Island specials. The third row are Simrams and a Gotcha Clouser, which are going to be the the next fly in the tying video. Last row are hot legs Gotchas, which are my current favorite bonefish flies.

Moving to the right side, lots of crazy charlies in different colors. Row 2 are more gotcha's in various weights with Horrors on the end. Next row are hot legs gotcha's and last but not least, pink puffs.

I have another box that I'll show soon that has crab patterns, clousers, and borksi sliders that are really more

I hope everyone enjoyed the fly tying video last Monday. I had a good time putting it together and will get more up soon. Let me know if there are any flies you want demonstrated.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment