Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tibor and Abel Fly Reels (or, an ode to the Cork Drag)

When bonefishing, I'm a big fan of cork drag reels and, in particular my Abel Super 8 and my Tibor Everglades. It seems to me that most of the fighting of the fish is done with the reel, so it makes sense to have a drag that is smooth, reliable, and easy to maintain. Saltwater is really hard on equipment, so you don't want something that is hard to maintain.

And cork is just sooo smooth.

So which do you go with? An Abel or a Tibor? Flip a coin. I love my Abel. It's a workhorse and the reel is easy to take care of. The Tibor has it's own "song" that it plays when bonefish or other fish are screaming backing off. Plus it comes with your name on it. I put a bonefish on mine for a little extra bling. Abel has some really sweet fish graphics that give you another level of bling, too.

Either way, both of these reels will passed on to my kids as they will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment