Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lodge vs. DIY Bonefish Trip

There are lots of ways you can plan for your trip.  The easy way is to call Yellow Dog, Frontiers, The Fly Shop, or another reputable fly fishing travel agent and have them tell you where to go.  You book it, show up, and catch fish.  

This is great if you have a little extra cash, you're just too busy to get into the specifics, or you haven't done your homework.  

I tend to do things a little bit different on my bonefish flat.  I opt for the "Barta" way, which is the hard way.  I like to research several locations.  Find independent guides and book them myself.  I check out tides, moons, etc. and try to put my trip together.  This can be stressful, but very rewarding and you can save some dough.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my way to do it.
    Unfortunately I've never taken the step yet...
    Any destinations that's worth it?

    ReplyDelete