Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Gripes

I'm not usually one to gripe about a whole lot. At least I don't think I am anyway. But get ready, because I'm getting ready to complain about something that is really bothering me. The weather. Tomorrow's high here in the nation's Capital is forecast for 23 degrees. That's nine degrees below freezing. That is honking cold. What's worse, the forecast doesn't call for a day in the 30's until Saturday. That's just plain wrong.

Some of my friends and readers in the north are probably reading this and saying quit yer bitchin'. But this is a blog about saltwater flats fishing. So guess what fellas to the north, too bad. I'm entitled to complain about cold weather.

Here's a picture from the summer in the keys. Much warmer there, I'll tell you.

And I bet there a few people in Florida reading this laughing at me too. And to you, my good friends, I say, it ain't funny. People weren't made to live in 20 degree weather. If we were, God would have given us fur.

Tomorrow's high in Key West? 73 degrees. It just isn't fair.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment