Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Fish, Run, Drive

What a jam packed weekend. I had a chance to go fishing for a little while on Saturday for Shad in the Potomac.

For those that don't know, there are two types of Shad that we target, Hickory and American with the latter being a bigger fish.

Shad are anadromous which means they live in saltwater but breed in fresh. They are a hard fighting fish and make a great target with a fly rod. Unfortunately, I wasn't too lucky but some of the bait casters were catching fish. My problem was that I was fishing from the bank and limited to a roll cast. I could get out about 40 feet, but the fish seemed to be biting at 50.

Next weekend I look to get the kayak out and to have more on this fish. More good news about shad is that Rockfish (striped bass for those not in the mid-Atlantic) follow the shad.

On Sunday I ran the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile race in the morning and headed to Philadelphia in the evening for work. That makes a long day, but I capped off finishing the race with a cheesesteak.







Pats or Geno's? We hit Pats.

No comments:

Post a Comment