Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Silver Lining

I usually try not to repeat information, videos, etc, that has made the rounds on other blogs or Web sites.  I just can't help myself on this one, though.  

Capt. Will Benson and his crew at World Angling have a new video out called Silver Lining.  The film looks at tarpon fishing and what's at stake as the cruise ship industry looks to dredge Key West harbor to allow bigger ships to port.  The impact this would have could be devastating to the tarpon fishery around Key West.



I've followed Capt. Benson's career and I can tell you he is a much sought-after guide in the Keys.  His movies are stellar and some of the best "homegrown" flicks out there.  In fact, they are my favorite because of they focus on saltwater fly fishing.

I watched Silver Lining this morning with my five year old son and he noticed that the picture featured on the cover of this film is the same one (or very similar) included as a pull-out poster in The Drake magazine a few issues back.  I took the poster and hung it in my home office.  Pretty neat to watch a five year old who lives in D.C. suburb pick up on the habits of tarpon.  It's amazing how much kids really do pay attention to things.    

Speaking of tarpon, I'm really starting to get the itch again.  Lot's of the Saturday and Sunday morning fishing shows have featured tarpon and I expect in another two or three weeks I'll have a pretty good case of outright tarpon fever.  


No comments:

Post a Comment