Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012: A Look Back

For the past few years, my New Year's Resolution has been to get out on the water more.  It's harder and harder to do with the daily grind weighing down, but this year I did manage to get out there and wet a fly.  I did a lot more fishing in my local suburban ponds which has been a good outlet to get outside.  I even managed to get the kids out a few times so I'll try to keep that up in 2013.

To kick 2012 off, I had a chance to fish the bonefish flats of Long Island, Bahamas with a really great group of guys.  We had weather that was tough as snot, but I managed to have a great time, eat like a king, and meet some new lifelong friends.  If you missed the report, check it out here.

Me and a Long Island Bonefish.  
In the spring, I finally timed the shad run and had great success in the mighty Potomac.  I fished out of the historic Fletcher's Boat House on a few different occasions and really had a great time.

Poor man's Tarpon.  

In July, my dad and I continued our great tradition of taking a yearly trip by heading to Key West to fish with Captain Drew for tarpon.  I still get goose bumps thinking about that first tarpon I saw swimming at me at 12 o'clock.  She looked like a sunken log except moving fast and steady.  What an amazing trip.  If you missed this trip report, check it out here.  

Splash from dad jumping a Tarpon.


And my friend John took me out to location X where I landed this pig-of-a-largemouth.  



So there you have it.  2012 was a great year.  Looking forward to 2013.  Hope you and yours have a happy and safe New Year.  











1 comment: