Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Bonefish Flat's Favorite Things

Oprah does it. Bonefish on the Brain does it. So I'm going to do it too. Here's a list of some things that I have or have eyed for this Christmas season. Let me start by saying that the older I get, the less stuff I really want. Time seems to be the most valuable commodity to me these days. But be that as it may, you fly fishermen are a capitalistic bunch and are always looking for a new doo-hickey to catch more fish. And you know me, always trying to play to the masses.



So without further ado, we'll move to the list:

Clear Cure Goo Kit- I don't have this one but really want to use this stuff. It would be great on bonefish flies and for tying spoon flies (remember the year of the redfish? Exactly, I didn't catch one because I didn't have this stuff).

Hells Bay Whip Ray t-shirt- Retro style t-shirt from my friends at Hells Bay. Flip has this skiff, so how cool is that. Plus, I'm slightly obsessed with these boats. Ask my wife if you don't believe me.

Tosh's Wall Calendar- Tosh Brown takes some of the best fly fishing pictures out there.  I'm a huge fan of his work. If you don't know his name, you probably know his work. Be sure you order his calendar so you know what day it is.

Scott S4S 8WT- Does that special bonefisherman in your life need a new stick?  Why not treat him or her to a new S4S 8 weight.  I don't fish this rod, although I did use it this summer when I was Tarpon fishing with Capt. Drew.  But I do fish the S3S 9wt as my primary bonefishing rod and the next generation made some nice improvements.

Scott Cap- Can't afford a new stick?  Get a hat and rep the brand.

Tibor Everglades- Decide to get that new Scott Rod?  You can't use that old reel.  That would be like buying a new car and putting used tires on it.  What you need is a new Tibor with gold finish and pimp it out with a bonefish engraving.

Tim Borski Print- Tim Borski has some of the most unique paintings and artwork around.  He's one of my favorites.  The Angling Company in Key West Florida bought the rights to one of his Tarpon prints and it would look totally excellent hanging on your wall.

Marquesa: A Time and Place with Fish by Jeffrey Cardenas- This is my favorite fishing book every written.  It's been out of print for a while and its tough to come by an original copy but there is a new Kindle edition out and if you haven't read it, be sure to get it.

Hells Bay Marquesa- This is it.  The skiff to end all skiffs.  The Marquesa made the list last year and I really thought it might be in the garage on Christmas Morning.  But alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Maybe the family knew to wait because Hell's Bay just redesigned the Marquesa for 2012. This year, I've doubled down, worked hard, and been really, really good.

So there you have it.  A few gift ideas for this yule tide season.



No comments:

Post a Comment