Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Week Ahead

Lots going on here at the bonefish flat this week. I'm working on tying up some rockfish flies (don't think I've ever heard that term before). Rockfish here in the mid-Atlantic are striped bass everywhere else, or stri- pahs for my friends in the north east.




Me and a rockfish from two seasons ago.

Pretty simple really, I like a nice deceiver to target these fish or a clouser minnow.

Hopefully I'll get a few tied up tonight. I tried to get out onto my local pond today, but I ended up taking the kids and getting literally a truckload full of dirt. I built a raised garden here at bonefish flat HQ and the tomatoes are in the ground (good southern boys must grow tomatoes, right?).

At any rate, after the dirt got back into the ground, the fish truck needed cleaning so there went my day.

Hope some of you folks got out on the water this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment