Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Envy

I was going to call this post Jealousy, but that's not a really good word.  I'm not sure envy is any better, but when I think of jealousy, I think of wanting what someone else has and wishing they didn't have it.  When I think of envy, I think I wish I had that, but good for them for having it.

I'm envious of Bjorn over at Bonefish on the Brain.  He is getting ready to go to Cuba on what is going to be a fantastic expedition.  He's going as part of a group led by Yellow Dog Flyfishing. On his blog, he's been busy getting rods, reels, and flies ready to go.

Bjorn's Tying Flies from Bonefish on the Brain


For my last trip I must have tied 30 new flies.  I used three.

Bjorn, two things:
1.  Bonefish on the Brain and The Bonefish Flat MUST get together sometime to go bonefishing.
2.  Have the trip of a lifetime.  We are all anxiously awaiting the reports.

3 comments:

  1. We do need to fish together at some point... that needs to happen.

    My daughter and I counted up the flies on my cork board, which is the holding pattern for flies from when I finish a fly until it goes in a box.

    There were 70... and that's after I already put 20 or so new bonefish flies in boxes.

    The trip is a media tour with Yellow Dog and Avalon, but YD isn't selling the trip. They will, when it is legal to.

    I'm at 6 days to go. A week from today I'll be in Havana, waiting to head down to the fishing waters, 50 miles off the southern Cuban coast.

    Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, I'm also in the jealous boat and kinda green w/ envy (and possibly a little sea-sickness thinking of the the 50 mile trip over water to get to the fishing grounds). Still, sickness of the deepest kind.

    Also, don't know how I missed it but you are now added to my "blogroll".

    Glenmorangie's 'The Lasanta' is one of my favorite single malts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bjorn, the trip is going to be off the hook. Hope you get a Cuban cigar following a grand slam.

    Wind knot, thanks for the love. I'm currently into Dalwhinnie (currently as in that's my favorite, not a few deep!)

    ReplyDelete