Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Weekend Fishing

One thing I've learned about marriage is that when your wife asks if you want to go fishing, don't stick around for her to change her mind. Saturday here in northern Virginia was really gray and calling for heavy rain all day. It looked like it would be too wet to fish. But it stayed gray with no rain, so I decided to head out to my new local lake with my kayak.

Turns out I've found a great new fishing hole. Lots of grass for bass to hide and a really secluded place to fish. A few other folks were kayaking around the dock, but once out on the water, I had the lake to myself.

View from the Yak.

I got to the lake in five minutes from my new place and was in the water 15 minutes after leaving. This is going to be a fun place to go when I need a quick fix. I managed to catch three small brim, but the big one managed to be elusive. I did see a really big bass jump, but no luck. At any rate, it will be a good reason to back.

Looks Fishy, Right?

The other great thing is that now that I have a garage, its very easy to get my kayak loaded. Basically I can just throw it in the back of my truck and head out. It's a lot easier to get out on the water so this should be a fun summer.

My Yak, a Wildnerness Ride, loaded up.





No comments:

Post a Comment