Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Bonefish Travel Series: Carry-On Your Stuff

We've got a great week lined up for you. I've shot some more fly tying videos and am editing those now. Apparently YouTube only allows 10 minutes so I've had to cut down the length.

Tomorrow look for the gotcha clouser.

Today, we're continuing the bonefish travel series as i prepare for a bonefish trip.

One of my favorite pieces of gear is my Orvis Carry-it-all Rod and Reel Case. For my trip, I'll bring two fly rods, an 8 wt and a 9wt along with two reels. I print off a copy of the TSA carry-on regulations in case I get any grief, of which I've been pretty fortunate so far. Just to be safe, I usually divide my flies into two boxes and I'll check one box and I'll carry on the other.



Here are a few pictures of my bag. I divide leaders and tippet into two and carry-on half and check half, too. Remember, if you fly international, you get to check a bag for free so it's not a big deal to bring a check-in bag.


The Orvis carry-on is also good for packing your sun gloves, buff, point and shoot camera, and it has handy front see-through pockets where you can keep your boarding pass. The slots are adjustable so you can make some areas bigger and some smaller. My other carry-on will be a small backpack where I'll take a change of clothes, book (always The Old Man and the Sea for my bonefish/flats trip), and my iPhone.




No comments:

Post a Comment