Welcome to The Bonefish Flat

There's a stiff wind in your face as you squint in the sun trying to see what the guide sees. "Bonefish at 12 o'clock about 90 feet, do you see it, mon?" You don't and keep squinting, your hat pulled low to keep the sun out of your eyes. "Bonefish at 11 o'clock 70 feet out. Come on man, do you see it?" As the guide is calmly shifting the skiff into position, this time you spot the fish, "I got, it," you reply.

"OK, Mon, Bonefish 50 feet at 10 o'clock. Cast when you're ready."

Cast when you're ready. And with that you drop your fly, roll out a cast, false cast once, and then...

Welcome to the bonefish flat.

Monday, November 2, 2009

The Longest Silence

Good title since it's been a while since i've posted anything. I did manage a fishing trip out west to Colorado to fish for trout on the Frying Pan River and the Roaring Fork River. I stayed in the town of Basalt, Colorado and had a great trip. I caught a lot of fish, both browns and rainbows, and had some great discoveries.

Basalt is a great little town that would be fun for the whole family. Be sure to check it out and check out Taylor Creek Fly Shop if you go. Ask for Cam, he'll hook you up.

I just picked up Thomas McGuane's book, The Longest Silence, which is a collection of his short stories. Anyone who considers his or her self a flats junkie should read his classic 92 in the shade. It's a classic book about a bonefishing guide in the Keys in the good ole days. Be sure to read it and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the book, but it had an element of drug use and haziness to it that I couldn't relate to since I grew up after that age passed. McGuane probably had a good idea of what that world was like and I'd bet he captured it pretty well.

    Have not found too many books with flats fishing, sadly.

    ReplyDelete